Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Born To Be Wild

Each year, while my youngest sister is at church camp for a week, my parents take a several-days-long road trip on their Harley. My dad just couldn't wait another minute to meet his granddaughter (and who can blame him? ;) ), so this year, they decided to make the long haul out here on their vacation. Needless to say, we were thrilled!


It was love at first sight.

My mom was here when V was born and spent enough time with the J-bird to know that a slingshot would make a spot-on perfect gift for him...so she brought him one and taught him how to shoot Goldfish crackers with it!


Mom also bought J a tee-ball set, which is getting a ton of use. Papa took a turn at teaching...



...and then Granny gave it a whirl.


J really, REALLY likes to knock that tee clean over.



"I don't think you're going to catch that there, Granny."



"Here, Papa!"



The three of them played like this for over an hour, trading around who had the bat and who had to run and get the ball every SINGLE time it went flying into the street...or the yard...or under the neighbor's car... Every so often, Mom would take the baby for me, and I'd get to play as well.


Did you know...



It's hard to get a good picture of two children at once?



Mom and Dad were here for two glorious days, and on day 2, we took the kids to the park. V slept sweetly in her stroller, while the J-bird played on the slides, the climbing net, the teeter totter, the merry-go-round...

...and the swings!



On the walk home, he got Papa to run around the bases of the baseball diamond with him.

They also made good use of J's new slingshot (seen here, in my Dad's back pocket), shooting rocks into an empty field of grass and weeds near our development.



These two definitely love being together.


The Harley made J pretty nervous, but he did consent to sit on it a few times.




Papa and Granny fitted his tricycle with some leather streamers though, and THAT was just about his speed.


He even got to try on Granny's helmet!



These two? Also GREAT pals.



My dad rode halfway down the street and back to show J how it works.


And Granny, Harley babe that she most definitely is, jumped on the back. Don't worry, they do wear helmets when riding more than a hundred feet. :)





Biker gang of two.
With a biker babe in training!



And I got to spend lots of time with my Mom, which was wonderful. The last time she was here, I was still awash in the post-baby boo-hoos, hobbling around from my c-section and taking everything very seriously. Now that I'm back to myself, all was easy-going and fun, and we had a great time.


I love both my parents so very, very much.


And I miss them all the time. I'm so thankful that they decided to make the trip. We made some awesome memories that will last a lifetime.

No comments: