Monday, July 5, 2010

Red White and Blue Shortcake

It's been a little while since I made a really special, theme-ish meal for my family, and I thought the 4th was a good excuse to do so! I made buffalo burgers, using meat from a local buffalo farm, potato salad (one of my favorites), deviled eggs (one of James's favorites), threw a bag of chips on the table and finished everything off with Red White and Blue Shortcake.

Which brings us to our post:


For the Shortcake:

2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Cream


In Bowl #1, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.


Next, cut in the butter. I find this step is easier if I slice up the butter first.



You want to cut it in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.



In Bowl #2, beat the egg with the cream.



Add Bowl #2 to Bowl #1 and mix until just combined.


I stirred it up some, then used my hands. It has a texture very like biscuit dough, so kneading it a few times brought it right together.



I wanted to make individual cakes, so I pressed the dough into greased muffin tins. The recipe says to press it into a greased 8 inch round or square cake pan. Bake at 450F for 15-20 minutes. If you're using muffin tins, as I did, err on the 15 minute side, rather than the 20. As I often do with sweet things, I sprinkled a little ground kosher salt on the tops before baking.



Next, I made strawberry and blueberry compotes. I chose to do that, because, due to some poor planning on my part, I only had frozen berries - no fresh ones. Thawed berries just aren't the same, so I cooked them with a VERY small amount of sugar and some honey with a little corn starch to thicken.


Then I whipped some cream (heavy whipping cream, a little sugar or Splenda and a splash of vanilla with some melted gelatin drizzled in to keep it together)



If you were making this as a cake, you'd split the whole cake just before serving. I did the same with my little individual cakes.



Red on one side, blue on the other, and white in the middle. Red, white and blue!




And then I did my patriotic duty and ate it all up.