Wednesday, August 11, 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different

Because he is equal parts love and evil, my sweet husband recently bought me/us an amazing ice cream machine. He knows I hate to buy something if I can make it myself...plus, he loves ice cream. :) In addition, he also purchased this book of ice cream recipes by David Lebovitz. I've now made a few of the recipes, and my favorite so far is the BEST chocolate ice cream I've ever eaten in my life, ever. Ever, ever. Yikes. I made it this weekend, in an attempt to shut my brain off. It didn't work, but it was a delightful try.




THE RECIPE:
2 Cups Heavy Cream
3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
5 Ounces Bittersweet or Semisweet Chocolate, chopped
1 Cup Whole Milk
3/4 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
5 Large Egg Yolks
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

In no way does this remotely resemble health food, but hey! No preservatives.

Anyway.



Here's the machine. It takes up a fair amount of kitchen real estate, which should bother me, but...did I mention chocolate ice cream? Did you know my daughter just had surgery? Stress. Chocolate. 'Nuff said. It does fit in a lower cabinet, so it doesn't have to live on my counter.


On the stove, in a good saucepan, warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder, whisking to blend it thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for a few seconds, before removing from the heat and adding the chopped chocolate. The chocolate bar you saw in the above photo is only 4 ounces, and the recipe calls for 5, so I threw in a small handful of chocolate chips as well. Then I cackled madly. Whisk, whisk, whisk.



Until it's smooth.



Then remove from the heat and add the remaining cream.




Whisk some more. Now pour this delightful mixture into a bowl.




Find your mesh strainer. Wash it.


Then put it over the bowl.





Separate your eggs and beat the yolks in a bowl.



Using the same pan (no need to wash, you want the remaining chocolate), warm the milk, sugar and salt on the stove.



Very slowly, add the warm milk to the egg yolks, whisking all the while, so the eggs don't scramble. When it's thoroughly combined, scrape this back into the saucepan and slowly heat it, stirring and scraping the sides and bottom with a heat resistant spatula until it coats said spatula. It's okay if it looks slightly lumpy.




Pour the custard through the strainer into the chocolate from before.




Whisk and add the vanilla



Then whisk some more. There is a lot of whisking.



Cool it over an ice bath, then chill in the 'fridge before freezing in your ice cream maker.



Dude. Seriously. It's worth the time on the treadmill.

No comments: