Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We're Home


V had her surgery this morning and it went well. Dr. N was able to get all of the hemangioma out, and it was big - about the size of a half dollar. It was putting a lot of pressure on her eyeball. In fact, Dr. N said that her eye was visibly pushing back up to its correct position as the growth was removed. None of the tendons or nerves we were worried about sustained any damage, and she should heal up fine now. There's a patch over her eye until tomorrow, her little voice is raspy and hoarse from the breathing tube, and she's uncomfortable, but we're home and it's over. This long, horrifying process, begun in MAY is done, except for the healing.

It was about as difficult as I thought it would be. Placing my girl in the arms of the (very kind) anesthesiologist at the doors of the surgery suite and standing there watching them walk away is an experience that will stay with me - and one I hope never, ever to repeat. When they finally came out to tell me that she was awake and I could go to her...I'm not sure I've ever felt relief like that. I bolted toward the nurse, desperate to get to my baby, and it's been hard to take my eyes off her ever since. It's a relief to have it over with now. I feel as though my whole body has been clenched like a fist for two and a half months, and now I can start to let go.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to my James, to Pastor Jennifer for being with us today and distracting James and I with stories and history and jokes in the waiting room, to my mom, my dad, Laura and my sisters for the texts and calls, and to the many, many of you who emailed or hit me up on Facebook today with love, prayers and concern. I have no idea what I ever did to merit such an outpouring, but you can bet I will never forget it as long as I live.

Now I'm going to go get a grip and try not to shake into a million pieces. :)

2 comments:

tracyannc said...

I am so glad this can all be put behind you and thank goodness they got it all and Ms. Vivi is doing great. WHOOOHOOO!!

Anonymous said...

So thankful everything went well! I so enjoy reading about your beautiful children. It has been many a year since I've seen James. Sharrell & I have been best of friends since 5th grade.

Karen Smith