Saturday, September 25, 2010

Whew

There is a very big reason why I rarely throw parties. It's not that I don't enjoy throwing them - I do. I love to plan and organize and shop and arrange. I love to see people gathered together. I love the conversation and chatter. The reason I rarely throw parties is that I'm always so afraid that no one will show up.

Kind of like the bridal shower no one but my best friend and my mom came to. True story.

However.

I only get to come to Kansas once, maybe twice a year, and no matter how long I stay, it seems I never get to see everyone I'd like to. So, I decided to try organizing a get-together at a local park. I reserved the shelter. I invited everyone. And then I worried. Lots of people had their kids' soccer games or were going to be out of town. One friend had a dentist appointment. Another was having a garage sale. But I had some "yes" RSVPs, and so I only felt mildly anxious, partially nauseated. But then, some unexpected things came up for some people who had planned to come, and my brain tried to jump out through my ears. I had visions of myself and my kids, sitting forlornly in the reserved shelter at the park, embarrassed and alone.


So melodramatic.

Anyway, I wasn't left hanging. Several lovely friends took time from their day to come out for a couple of hours. The children played, the adults conversed and caught up, and my brother, who is almost 30, had a contest on the swingset with a friend of his to see who could swing higher. It was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I went against my fear and threw it together.

My sweet friend, Tracy drove out from Kansas City with her two darling boys, A and B.



And remember Mr Newman? He came too! I love this photo of two of my oldest friends.



Claire, who I somehow missed with my camera, brought her Bryan and her sons C and Baby B. I'm pretty sure Bryan loves his baby - what do you think? ;)



Sarah and her baby, C who was born on the exact same day as my Miss V!! Sarah brought all three of her sons - Big C, Middle C, and Baby C. I had to use those code names for them, because there are three, enabling me to make a little music joke - get it? - Middle C?

Maybe my sense of humor is another thing inhibiting my successful party throwing.



Look at that baby! Don't you just want to kiss him and squish his little chubs? He's even more precious in person.


My folks took a Harley trip this weekend, so my poor sister, Tassi is stuck with me and the kids. Since she is now officially a teenager, she was quite bored. I think. It's hard to tell.

That's another joke. It's easy to tell. "Bored" is teenager default. Unless Justin Bieber happens to be on TV, apparently.



My jaw-droppingly, heart-stoppingly gorgeous sister, Emma was there too.


Aaaaaand my brother, Joe. Joey and I are two and a half years apart. Because he's a guy, we don't talk on the phone often, but distance does not undo a shared childhood. We just know each other, you know? Joey knew I was anxious, and he showed up for me. He always shows up for me, because that's how he is. He rallied a couple of other friends too, and my sister-in-law, Denny was there at the beginning, but I hadn't broken out my camera yet.



Ryan and my brother have been good friends for many years, so he's my friend by extension. Ryan is one of those people who fill up a room and ALWAYS have fun. When he rolled up, I knew the party would be alright ;)


And Ryan's adorable and sweet wife, Kate, giving my Miss V some hugs and smiles.



All the kids seemed to have a great time, they ran, they played, they slid down the slide, they swung on the swings. The J-bird wore himself clean out.



Big P, being pushed on the swing by his mama, Ami.



and Little P, who, along with the J-bird, talked my brother in to pushing them "higher!!" on the swings.


Mr. B, who is one of the cutest children currently walking the planet.


A, who grew roughly 4 feet since I saw him last year, and the back of Big C's head.


Middle C!!



And of course, the aforementioned swinging contest.


I think Joey won. He had a strong finish anyway, as you can see.

Thank you to Tracy (with A and Mr. B), Ami (with Big P and Little P), Ryan and Kate, Chuck, Joey, Denny, Emma, Claire and Brian (with C and Baby B) and Sarah (with the three Cs!) for coming out, and to Tassi for patiently tolerating the whole business. Maybe I'll get you another Justin Bieber poster for your giant collection.

Just kidding. I'm totally not doing that.

2 comments:

Jaimey said...

I planned a get together at a park in San Diego last time I was there at and NOT.ONE.PERSON.SHOWED. grrr. The one who had said she was going to flaked. Glad you faced your fear and had a great time. :)

tracyannc said...

Awww... what a sweet, sweet, post. It was great to be there! Thanks for putting it together and for capturing the moments. Much love MUAH