Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloweeeeeeeen

I'm not all that big on Halloween, to tell you the truth. We never celebrated it when I was growing up, so I don't have a bunch of nostalgic childhood memories of dressing up and trick or treating.

My husband, however, is another story altogether. The complete opposite story, in fact. Something we discovered shortly after getting married. I believe the conversation went something like this:

"WHADDA YA MEAN YOU NEVER DID HALLOWEEN? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!!?"

The end.

And so, I've always done what I can to make it fun for him, and now, for my kiddos!

The J-bird had a bout of food poisoning (or something) on Saturday, so it looked a little grim for awhile, but he bounced back admirably (and may I say, regardless of how fun it may sound, how glad I am that "Barf on Mommy Fest 2010" has come to a close?) for Sunday's festivities.




The J-bird went as Perry the Platypus from the cartoon, "Phineas and Ferb". I made most of the costume from a sleeper and some felt, bought the fedora online and had sewn more felt to the bill of a ball cap for Perry's beak. Then I found this cool Perry hat and gloves set at Wal Mart and went with that instead, because it has the eyes on it :).


The tail was my favorite part.



He liked it too!



James dressed as Dr. Doofenshmirtz, Perry's bumbling nemesis!




Please pardon my messy kitchen. A tornado blew through not five minutes before picture time, I swear.

I'm the tornado. I had to simultaneously get two children into costumes while preparing for going trick or treating and serving the hordes of trick or treaters who come through our neighborhood. Funsies.





"Ah! Perry the Platypus! So nice to see you!"




The ever darling Miss V went as a KU cheerleader. She had a pom pom and everything (from my days of singing the National Anthem and KU Alma Mater at the basketball games in college - glad I saved THAT thing!)





"Agent P!!!"








Black eyed pea (yeah. I told you it's not really my thing)




Our little town turns out for a mass trick or treat in our little downtown. It is SO fun. While we did not see any other Perrys there, about every third kid and every sixth adult recognized the costume, so the J-bird got a lot of, "Hey!! It's Perry! Mommy! There's Perry the Platypus!!!" I'm pretty sure he felt famous. Or something.




After hitting the downtown area deal, we went home to eat supper and then trick or treated our neighborhood.



Perry the Platypus was QUITE excited.



I do not know why, but in spite of how nervous all these decorations (and sound effects) made him, my son was determined to go to this house. So we did.




Miss cheerleader rode happily in the stroller, enjoying the fun.



And it was FUN!! It really was.

Hope yours was too!

Now to start planning for Thanksgiving....

3 comments:

soksavda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Monkee said...

Awww..How adorable! my 7 year old LOVES perry...I'll have to remember that for next year :)

I feel ya on planning Thanksgiving...my mind has been there for two days now :)

Geneva said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite!! We'll be having friends over for the feast again this year, and I'm so excited to plan everything out.