Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving This Year



Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I'm not sure why that is exactly, but I just love it, and this year's celebration goes on my list as an all-time favorite. Matt and Traci, our Oregon Family came over, and we had a blast of a day.

Matt is used to my constant photo- snapping. He doesn't bat an eye.




Traci too!




I had been cooking and prepping for a couple of days, which made it possible for me to relax, cook and enjoy. Traci is an a.m.a.z.i.n.g. cook, so I love when she comes over and helps me in the kitchen. We've cooked together often enough now that we dance pretty well in the kitchen, and it's so fun.


We sat and chatted for awhile after they arrived, and then we tied on our aprons and got to work.





I make a lot of lists.




Waiting for food.




Sorry dude, you've got awhile to wait.




Watching Matt carve our turkey.




He did a delightful job. I love turkey.




The J-bird got a mini-version of the table-setting. Because he is picky, but I am working on this trait, he also got a mini version of our meal. One bite of each dish, plus a roll. He required some prompting, but he ate it all, and I was glad to see that wee bit of progress.




Miss V got yams and green beans. She loves the yams (I made them the other day when I was making the sweet potatoes) but totally hated the green beans. I didn't get them smooth enough, so it might've been a texture thing. I will try, try again!


James's plate. Yum. We had a pretty traditional menu - turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato casserole, rolls, green bean casserole, green beans with almonds and balsamic vinegar, deviled eggs, bacon/pecan/and apple stuffing and Traci's awesome cranberry sauce.





Ah...good food and great friends!!




...and a nap after lunch.




After a suitable break, we dove into dessert. Here are Traci's pumpkin whoopie pies. Um...delectable.




Mine own pecan pie (well...a modified version of the Pioneer Woman's recipe, but I made it)




Triple chocolate cream puffs (uh...Costco made those)




And cranberry white chocolate chunk ice cream from my ice cream machine.

Yeah, so it was dessert overkill, but we like to party.




After the kids took their naps, we adjourned to the TV room for some Rock Band III!




The J-bird loooooooooved this. I set him up with a "drum" (a footstool) and some wooden spoons, and he had a ball.




Miss V was her normal sweet, wonderful, observant self. She kicked and giggled and beamed at everyone. Good Lord, how I love this baby.




Rock goddess.



Guitar stud.



Back off, ladies. This one's mine. :)


It was a fun and memorable day, and it wouldn't have been the same without our dear friends, our Oregon Family. Here's hoping your day was full of love and laughter, good food, family and friends. All things to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Traci said...

SO much fun. We are so blessed to get to spend our time with you! The only thing missing were the Schultzies.

Geneva said...

I missed them too, but it was a wonderful, wonderful day, wasn't it?