Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Milestone

The J-bird has been potty trained for over a year and a half - during the day. For nights and naps, he's always worn a diaper, and it has rarely been dry when he woke up, and I didn't worry too much about it, because lots of kids, especially boys, it seems, night train later. I've been talking to him about trying to stay dry, and I promised him that if he ever woke up dry in the morning, I would take him to Wal Mart and let him pick out a toy. I figured I'd have plenty of time to save up my Wal Mart money.

But then...(dramatic pause)

A few mornings ago, I went in to his room to get him for breakfast, shucked him down to take off his diaper and realized....his daddy had clean forgotten to put one on him the night before.

And the J-bird was DRY! Dry as a bone! Dry as the desert! Dry as a miracle!

So I figured that maybe, just maybe it's been the feeling of the diaper giving him the liberty to, uh...go, if ya know what I mean. He never, ever has accidents during the day, so to him, underpants equal the Hoover Dam. Why didn't I think of that sooner?

So I picked up a waterproof mattress cover and started the training.

I restrict his liquid intake after supper, I have him use the potty several times throughout the evening, at least twice in the twenty minutes before bed, we practiced how he'll get up to go potty in the night (with all the lights out and just the night lights on), and away we went. I wake him up to go to the bathroom when I get up with Miss V in the night as well. It's been four nights now with only one tiny accident. Naps too! He's so proud of himself, and I'm proud of him too.

Oh yeah, and I had to make good on my Wal Mart promise.




He chose





An awesome ($5!) remote control truck.




Which he loves.



Almost as much as he loves being such a big boy.

2 comments:

James said...

Since I would have taken the blame, I'll take the credit for "night training" him.

Monkee said...

Wow! Way to Go, J-bird!!