Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My New Year's Adventure.




This is Sarah. She and I have been good friends since about the 8th grade. Those crazy junior high school days - we'd spend hours talking on the phone about stupid boys, worrying about our braces, talking about our parents... We did theater together, and once, before a performance, she gave me a little satin rose with a note that explained that it would last forever, like our friendship. Once, we had a party in her basement, and we though it would be hilarious to randomly play some New Kids On The Block song (they were SO out by then, don't you know) in the midst of the festivities...I'm not sure anyone else thought we were as amusing as we found ourselves, but the two of us got a kick out of it. Sarah moved to Georgia after our 9th grade year, but we stayed friends. Sometimes over the years, we've been close. Other times, we've drifted a little. The friendship stuck though, and I've always been so glad and grateful to have her in my life.

My point is that Sarah is special.

So when she told me this summer, with apprehension in her voice, that the date she chose for her wedding in Kansas was New Year's Eve, and that sheunderstoodifIcouldn'tmakeit, I knew I had to at least try to make it happen.

For Sarah.

Fast forward to December 30th, as I'm standing in line to pass through security at the airport, with Miss V in the Ergo (she went with me), having just said goodbye to James and to my J-bird. whom I have never gone so long without seeing in his whole life. There are tears streaming down my face, and I feel actual, physical pain watching them walk away from me, and I'm not sure why I agreed to do this. And then I remember...it's Sarah. She'd do this for me a hundred times over. So I got it together and got on the plane and flew back to the Sunflower State to be there for my girl.

And it was so worth it.


Sarah was radiant and Chad was overjoyed. His boys were clearly pleased with the step-mama situation, and the whole affair was fantastic and lovely.



My dad accompanied me to the fete, to help with Miss V while I sang in the ceremony. They got to spend some good, quality time together, and my dad got to exercise those baby-carrying muscles that you forget about when you aren't hossing around an almost-nine-month-old who hasn't learned to grip with her knees or hold on at all or do anything but smile at you and occasionally fling herself backward, just to double check that you'll catch her and not drop her on her head.



Sarah's mom, Ann.




And these two...so happy.




I sat right behind Sarah's brother, Travis, whom I have known since he was a little dude, shooting hoops in his mom's driveway and flirting with his older sister's friends. The lovely woman sitting next to him is his fiance.





Because the wedding took place on NYE, the reception was themed accordingly. All the tables had New Year's themed names, and the whole thing was very elegant and festive. Though they didn't play any New Kids On The Block, I noticed. ;)




The favors....which my dad and I BOTH forgot to take, dang it.




The gorgeous cake.




The feast.


It was a wonderful night, filled with love, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.





And then...the rest of our visit.



We got to see my in-laws for a few hours, which is always great.





We had an ice-cream and white-elephant-auction party with all my siblings and my parents.


Tassi, enjoying some ice cream





White elephant goods.

We took some family photos:


My siblings, from left to right - sisters: Emma, Olivia and Tassi and brother: Joe.



Same crew, with the addition of my folks. My dad thinks he looks like Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" because of his haircut. I, of course, think he looks dashing, as always.






The Queen and I ;)


31 years of marriage, and still going strong.




Miss V, as always, charmed the pants off of just about everyone.



She's quite charming, don't you know.

And after a couple days of visiting, we got back on a plane for the long four hour flight back to our boys, who were happy and relieved to see us.


The reunion was sweet, let me tell you.

So, happy 2011 to you! Since I returned home with a cold, I raise a glass of Alka Seltzer to your good health and to a wonderful new year, filled with joy, love and accomplished goals. I've got my new calendar filled out and hung up, and I'm ready to rock it. Let's get rolling on this thing!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Ah! Sarah was lovely! Thanks for sharing! Weddings are always so special. I'm so glad you could be there for her!

Monkee said...

Welcome home! I am sure you were missed! I know we missed your lovey posts and photos! Happy New Year and may 2011 bring you 11 times the happiness and Blessings as 2010 did :)

Geneva said...

Sara - It was gorgeous and perfect. I was thrilled to be there.
Monkee - You're so nice! Happy New Year to you, too, and thanks for reading!

tracyannc said...

Sarah was beautiful, looks the same as I remember! What a great pic of you with your family and the one of your parents alone. And Vivi in your mom's tub... so stinking cute! Missed seeing you! Love ya, T

Sarah said...

Geneva didn't mention that not only did she make it there to see me through the day, she also shared her amazing talents by singing and by creating beautiful name cards. As always, our time together was wonderful and too short. I'll save you glasses in case it is ever convenient for you to get them! The glasses, by the way, are because i've held onto our Eldridge NYE glass for years and it inspired me!