Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday

(Please excuse my blurry phone photos)...

Today is Palm Sunday, so at our wonderful small church, we gathered in the narthex before the service, held sword ferns (easier to find in the Northwest than palm branches) and processed into the sanctuary, singing. My J-bird loved this last year, and he loved it even more this year.
Especially because he kept hearing people say the word "sword". He'd get his hopes all up that he could "sword" people with his branch, only to be told by his spoil-sport Mama that "we don't sword people in church".

He had fun anyway. The kid likes a group activity.



The children had their moment up front with Pastor Jennifer, then they am-scrayed out to Sunday School (and Miss V went to play in the nursery), while the adults stayed for the service.

I got to be one of the Scripture readers, which was an honor. I read the bit about Judas trying to return his blood money and then hanging himself, about Jesus being tried, Pilate washing his hands, the people crying out for the release of Barabbas the murderer and for the execution of Jesus. Cheerful stuff, to be sure. Our awesome choir sang "Lacrimosa" from Mozart's Requiem. Have I ever mentioned how AMAZING it is to hear Mozart in church? Because it's amazing.

Next Sunday is Easter. I really love Easter. And I really love our wonderful, loving church, and how thoughtfully the leadership takes us through the whole Lenten season. I don't blog a lot about religion and faith, because this space is about my family and our silliness together. I also figure you've got your outlook, and I don't seek to push mine on you. I will say, however, that my faith is an integral part of who I am, and I've spent more time in contemplation and reflection here, in this small, "old fashioned" (in that we sing hymns, have a choir and stained glass windows, light candles, bring food to every gathering, etc...)church than I remember for a long time. It's been renewing and awakening and wonderful. It has refreshed my passion, and I'm thankful for it.

And I'm hoping the J-bird's "sword" got lost somewhere between church and home, but I'm pretty sure it's on the floor of my car, making friends with all the stale goldfish crackers and sticky cups of old juice. Awesome. Amen.

No comments: