Tuesday, January 17, 2012

For Life


I always tell my children that if they are kind to one another, they'll each have a friend for life. I really hope that's true.  My siblings and I all live far apart, but I love all four of them with my whole heart and miss them every day. We don't talk all the time, but there's no question in my mind that I could call any one of them for help, and that they would be there in a heart beat, and vice versa. There's no one quite like that very first friend and ally, is there? That other emissary from the tiny people to help you navigate a world run by grown-ups. Even when you fight, you know it'll be ok, because your sibling is part of you. I know it doesn't always go that way, but I hope, hope, hope that it does for my kids, because it is such a precious relationship, and in addition to knowing they are loved unconditionally by their dad and I, I want them each to have that haven in one another, that knowledge that there is always someone at their back, that there are hands to bear them up, and that there's a shoulder for them to lean on.

2 comments:

Heather E said...

They are too cute! I love my siblings so much, even though as kids we weren't as close, we really have grown to be best friends now! You are so right- friends for life!

I found your blog by accident but I am really enjoying it! Thanks for sharing!

Geneva said...

Thank you so much for reading!