Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hairtut

The J-bird took a long time to grow any hair at all. His head was a perfect little cue ball for well over his first year, and when it finally grew in, his hair turned out to be just like mine: pin straight, wispy, and dark blond. He has the added bonus of a truly outstanding cowlick on the back of his head that gives him his characteristic awesome "rooster tail" hairdo.

When he was little(r), I tried taking him to get a haircut. I tried it more than once, in fact. He's the J-bird though, and a stranger coming near his head with scissors or clippers fuh-REAKED him right out, so I started cutting his hair at home with our old (loud) clippers. He hated that too, and I botched the cut half the time, but at least I wasn't paying someone $12, only to have him jerk his head away in panic and end up with weird hair. I CAN DO HAVE THAT FOR FREE.

He's five now though, and I thought we might give decent haircuts another try, so, promising to buy him a Sonic slush (to share with Sister) if he'd only sit still, we headed out to Great Clips.


 He was a little nervous, but he gamely clambered up onto the booster and let the stylist put a cool cape on him. He's pretty down with capes, in case you didn't know. Wears them frequently. He's practically Superman. So this part was no biggie for him.

 He sat so still. Tense. Ready to bolt.


 But one can only maintain that level of flight-readiness for so long when one is only five, so after awhile, because he is the J-bird, he relaxed and started talking to the stylist. And he talked her hind leg right off, while I giggled. He was like a perfect little old gentleman, carrying on a full conversation about how he always tells his mommy that her singing is beautiful (inspired by a song that came on the radio right about then), about how Daddy is going to take him to Harry Potter Land someday, about how he prefers the scissors she was using to the clippers Mommy uses (Jimmy - "The buzzers Mommy uses hurt." Me - "They do NOT!" Jimmy - "They're loud. They hurt my ears." Me - *sigh*).  It was hysterical.


 Miss V thought she might like a little off the top. I told her she's never cutting her hair, EVER. She threatened to dye it purple. I grounded her forever.



The J-bird is delighted with his new 'do and told me we should ALWAYS go there to get his hair cut and NEVER use the buzzers again. I told him to get a job. Then we went to Sonic and got a slush.

No comments: