Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Total Eclipse of the Heart


On my 16th birthday, there was a solar eclipse. My class at school all went outside to observe the blessed event, and I felt super special that it happened on MY birthday. I was so very young. I think I'd just gotten the braces off my teeth. I was going to hang out with my high school sweetheart after school, because I had the day off from my part-time job (as a clown. Go 'head and giggle.). My mom had a Dairy Queen ice cream cake for me (yum). So much life was in front of me.

I was remembering that long-ago birthday this weekend, when there was another solar eclipse. I live in Oregon now, so it was really cloudy, but we watched through the clouds, and I snapped a few photos (I know, I know...not supposed to look). They're not, ya know, fantastic photos, and I had to mess with the contrast a lot to get them to show anything, but it WAS exciting to see such a rare event. I'm 34 now, and I watched this eclipse with my forever sweetheart and my two tiny sweethearts. I thought about that sixteen year old girl and felt connected to her through time. And after we'd watched what we could see, I cleaned the kitchen, put kids to bed, and thought about how much life is still in front of me (hopefully), of how lucky I am and how deeply happy I am, right here, with my precious family. I felt big gratitude.

I'm still feeling it.







No comments: