Wednesday, September 5, 2012

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye

After a lovely week of story reading, going to the park, running around outside, playing pretend restaurant, dancing and every other fun thing with the kids, my in-laws left early this morning to return home. Last night, when I went to tuck the J-bird in, he was quietly crying. I hugged him and told him I knew he was sad that Grandma and Grandpa were leaving in the morning, and he snuggled into me and heaved a big, sad sigh. Then my tender hearted little dude said, with deep concern in his voice, "I bet Daddy is REALLY sad, because that's his Mommy and Daddy." It was a small thing, but it moved me to hear him thinking about someone else, even in the midst of his own blues.

I think that kids reflect back what we show them, and they parrot back what we say. No matter what kind of parent you are, you're going to get back the good AND the bad, which is humbling and uplifting. Miss V is in that myna bird stage of  repeating everything she hears. The other night, at the supper table, she told her brother, "Ebbyone ewse is still EATING. Pwease be QUIET. Shhhhh." Whoops. But then, later on, she gently put her little hand on the side of my face and said, "You so sweet. I love you SO MUCH." Then she carefully touched my nose with the tip of her finger and said, "Justa way you are."

There are moments with my kids when I worry about who they will be, and then there are moments like these, when I'm pretty sure they're going to be alright.

Thank you for spending such a nice, long stretch with us, Jim and Sharrel. That concentrated time really impacts the kids in a wonderful way. It meant a lot to all of us that you took the time, and we all loved having you here!

No comments: