Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Today

Today, during our school time, I talked to my kids about what happened 11 years ago. I tried to be age appropriate. I told them about the people who let hate live in their hearts until it ate all their love and kindness and sweetness, leaving only bitterness and anger and violence. I told them the basics about the towers, the Pentagon, the field, the planes, the firefighters and police, the heroes. I told them how sad it was and why we remember it. I told them a little bit about the ensuing war, about the soldiers and civilians, about their Uncle Joe and his service. I told them how much I hope that they will always let love live in their hearts, instead of hatred and anger. We watched the time-lapse video of the building of the Freedom Tower in New York. We put our hands over our hearts, looked at the flag and said the Pledge, like we do every morning. And then we got on with our day.

How lucky we are, to be able to do that.

No comments: