Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Miss V's Curls

 Everywhere we go, people comment on Miss V's beautiful red, curly hair. Strangers gasp and point and smile, and it's nice and a little weird.

I do not have curly hair, so I had no idea what to do with it at first. I was using baby shampoo to clean it and getting it wet to style it, and wondering why it got so cottony and felt so dry. Then, a friend of mine with red, curly hair recommended a book called Curly Girl, by Lorraine Massey and Michelle Bender. I bought it, read it, and totally changed my approach to Miss V's curls. Now, I only use shampoo to wash her hair maybe once a month. The rest of the time, I gently scrub her head with conditioner and let it sit in her hair until she's ready to exit the tub. It gets plenty clean without the drying effects of the shampoo.

 This is how her hair looks when she gets hold of my hairbrush. Yeah. I don't brush her hair either.



 When I fix her hair, I use spray conditioner. I bought a couple of bottles and then started making my own - just some conditioner and water in a spray bottle. Works like a charm. It helps ease out any tangles, and it makes her hair very soft. It also smells nice.




 I spray her hair so it's wet (but not dripping)




 Then I gently shape her curls with my fingers. Sometimes I very, very gently use a comb to arrange her hair, but I don't want to damage it, so I'm careful.





 She likes bows, so I usually pull back a small piece of the front and slide a bow on. Once in a while, I use tiny elastics to do little pigtails. She loves that. Again, I'm really gentle when I put it in elastics, so I don't break her hair.




 Once her hair is dry, I gently "fluff" it a little.




 Voila! Curls (or...a bad photo of curls. She wouldn't hold still, so I had her rest her chin on my hand. ha!)



It's even starting to grow in on the sides!


PS. The authors of Curly Girl have no idea who I am. I'm just a beneficiary of their work. :)

1 comment:

Kate O. said...

I would definitely point and squeal if I saw that adorable child in public.