Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kansas Day

I grew up in Kansas, and every January 29th when I was a child, we celebrated Kansas Day, the anniversary of the day Kansas joined the Union. There were costumes and crafts and learning Kansas facts. I have very fond memories of Kansas Day.

I live in Oregon now, and I love it here, but I like to bring a little Kansas to the party anyhow, so the kids and I made sunflower sugar cookies today. We put the dough together, then tinted it yellow. I cut out petal shapes with a knife, and they each pieced together their own flower.
They very excitedly watched the cookies bake.



Once they'd baked and cooled, I added chocolate frosting for the centers. We'll enjoy them after supper tonight, singing "Happy Birthday" to my beloved Kansas, of course.

2 comments:

Monkee said...

How Fun! Those are the little things they will remember fondly when they get older :)

Geneva said...

I hope so :)