Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Big Al's

 I am an affectionate person. I give compliments freely. I tell people I love them and think they're special (and I mean it). And I'm a huggy person. If you come over to my house, I'll probably hug you when you leave. If you come back a second time, expect a hug when you arrive. If we've known one another for a while and you see me headed your way, you should probably either open up, or duck, because I'm probably aiming a hug at you. I mean, if you have a stand-offish vibe, I won't force a hug on you, or if you are just clearly NOT a hugger, I'll respect your boundaries, but, in general, I hug a lot. I don't know why. It's just my thing, I guess. Always has been.

A couple of years ago, we started hiring this teenager, Bailey to babysit our kids. We hadn't really left the J-bird much when he was tiny, so sitters had been hit or miss, but Bailey is an AMAZING babysitter, and as we got to know her and she got to know the kids, going on semi-frequent dates became more realistic for James and I. Bailey is a remarkable girl, and our whole family just loves her.

I met Bailey's mom, Amy once or twice, and then I learned she was going through some stress. I saw her at church, went up to her and said, "Hey there. I know we don't really know each other, but I'm doin' this anyway." Then I gave her a hug and told her I was around if she needed anything. We've been friends ever since. In fact, I consider her my sister from another mister. We're all in and out of each others' houses all the time. Her teenaged children love my little children, and my little children adore her teenaged children and think they hung the moon. The four of them all act like cousins. We have regular movie nights every week and spend holidays together. It's chosen family, and it's wonderful, and I like to think it sprung, in some part, from being weird and huggy.

I could be wrong.

Anyway, this big, odd, chosen family decided to go to Big Al's last week for some supper, bowling, and arcade games. It was the four of us, plus Amy and Bailey and Brent and Brent's sweet girlfriend, Becca.
 Becca! We love Becca!



 The J-bird is a very big fan of bowling.






























The tiny shoes of the bitty girl who beat everyone at bowling. And yes, she had bumpers and a ramp. But still.

2 comments:

Amy Becker said...

That's my girl, weird and huggy. Back atcha baby.

Geneva said...

mwah!