Sunday, June 2, 2013

In The Garden

 I do not have gardens made up of perfect lines and groupings.  My yard takes after me in that way, I guess. I like a jungle-y profusion of flowers and trees and gorgeous dirt and bees and birds. It's a lot of upkeep, and it's difficult to keep the weeds out (I work hard at that - I do like things TIDY, just not PERFECT), but it is glorious to me. I love the dirt I'm constantly scrubbing out from under my nails all summer, and I love sitting outside on the bench under the grape arbor that my dad built, watching my kids run through the sprinkler. I love planting things lovingly in the earth and viciously yanking other things out. Also, as my mother tells me, I have inherited the family love of weird yard art. (I do love it. Sorry, James.) Here's a little of what's growing in my yard at the moment.



















 How awesome is this thing? I got it at a garage sale for a buck. That's right. ONE AMERICAN DOLLAR.