Sunday, July 21, 2013

Green Acres Is The Place For Me

 The J-Bird spent five days this week at day camp, specifically FARM camp. For a kid whose first choice of places to play is rarely "outside", this was an interesting prospect, but he had a complete, unmitigated blast. Every morning at 9:00am, I dropped off a clean child, coated in sunscreen, and every afternoon at 4:00pm, I picked up a filthy, happy, exhausted little stinkball that I drove home and ushered directly into the shower. He milked goats (and,later in the week, drank the milk), rode horses, learned how to care for alpacas and sheep and a myriad of other farm animals, collected eggs from chickens, played with guinea pigs and a bunny, worked in a garden, listened to stories in a tipi, built a bird feeder, and played in lots and lots of dirt and rocks. He had more fun than he knew what to do with.






On the last day, all the parents came a half hour early for pick-up, and each child gave their parents a tour of the farm. James was able to take off work early to be there, which was pretty special. The J-bird shifted into full-on tour guide mode, saying, "If you'll please follow me over here, our first stop is Rhythm Hill. I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Tarnowski!" and so on. It. Was. Adorable.

"Say hello to this little horse!"




"This is the tipi. Today, during rest time, my friends and I were playing 'Dogs, Cats, and Owner'. I was a dog, and my name was Wolfie, and I was fifteen years old."




I'm pretty sure this is the dirtiest my fastidious child has ever been. I couldn't be prouder.




No comments: