Saturday, August 31, 2013

Backyard Board Game

 We've had such a nice summer, here in Oregon. Long, lovely, warm days full of sunshine for playing outside in. Since we didn't get much of a summer last year (or the year before, come to think of it), it's been wonderful to be able to send the kids outside to play. Of course, more often than not, I end up outside too. There's nowhere I like better to be than outside. (Let me see if I can use the word "outside" a few more times. WHAT A GREAT WRITER)

 One morning last week, I drew a game board on the back patio with chalk. James has a couple sets of giant dice, so we borrowed one, and the kids and I made up a game. We took turns rolling the die and walking (hopping, skipping, etc...) that number of spaces on our board. Then I would come up with a crazy thing for the kids to do, or they'd come up with a crazy thing for me to do.

 For example: "Run to the arbor, pick a grape and eat it. Then put your hand over your heart and say the Pledge of Allegiance".



 or: "Go stand under the apple tree and sing, 'Sing, Sweet Nightingale'"




 or: "Run back and forth between the fences while counting to twenty five






 or: "Pick a flower and use it as a microphone while you belt out your favorite Weird Al song" (The selection was "Eat It")








For the record, they made me turn a cartwheel (ow), walk backward around the yard, holler "Yooooohoooooooo!" into our fairy house, and a host of other amazing things. It was a pretty hysterical morning. I'm sure our neighbors got QUITE a show, if any of them were watching.




We played until we all got to the star, and then we went in for lunch. I came in second place, IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING.

No comments: