Sunday, August 25, 2013

Kansas: Installment 3. We Wander Wichita Way

 My mom grew up in Wichita, KS. I was born there, too. My dad was born and mostly raised not far from there as well. We lived in that area until I was ten, and we still have lots of relatives there, so it's very nice to be able to drive down and visit when we're in Kansas. We were able to do that this year, touching base with my dad's sister, Faith, and with my Grandmother and a passel of relations on my mom's side as well. It was so great.

 Our first stop was at my Aunt Faith's house. Miss V made herself right to home. We had such a nice time catching up, and I'm pretty sure the kids dragged out (and then grudgingly put away) every toy in her basement.




 Then, we went to see my Grandmother, who knows just what to do with rowdy kids who have spent the morning in the car.





 Miss V was very taken with Grandmother as well. I think the feeling was mutual, though pretty much everyone who met Miss V in Kansas labeled her a "firecracker". Accurately.



 My cousin, Sara happened to be visiting from North Carolina with her two daughters. When we were little girls, I called her Sara Boo, and I loved her more than cake. I still do both of those things, and spending time with her was a perfect gift.




The J-bird got to play with some second and third cousins and with my Aunt Lisa, which he loved.





 And then Sara Boo's daughter taught us about the fine art of taking selfies, so....we did that for a
 while.




It was a wonderful, silly, awesome time, and I loved it. I have so many childhood memories with these people, in that house, and I want my own children to have a few as well.

So thank you, Mom for doing all the driving that day. And thank you, Faith and Grandmother for throwing your doors open and getting out toys and pushing kids on swings and taking silly photos. It's always too brief, but it means a lot. We love you. I love you.

No comments: