Friday, August 15, 2014

You're So Vain

 I've been looking to remedy the little vanity corner of my bedroom for quite a while now. I had an old sofa table that I've used for years, but the drawers in it were teeny tiny, so I compensated by using boxes underneath to hold all my stuff. That makes clutter, and I do so hate clutter.
 




I'd been on the lookout for a desk that was the right size and shape and price, and I found one on our little classifieds site and snapped it right up. It was almost all real wood, except for a thick piece of plastic laminate on the top and some laminate on the sides, but I love the detail on the drawers and the sweet legs. I sanded the whole thing down, painted it, and then distressed it.






I didn't want to leave the top alone, but taking it off was more of a project than I had in mind, so I decided to just make a new top and place it over the laminate. I hit the ReStore for a piece of wood and found a sheet of plywood for $1.50. It was super duper rough, but I cut it to size and then sanded it for 1000 years.
 (un-sanded back side vs sanded front side)



Once it was super smooth, I painted on a design, and then stained that baby.







I attached the new top, added new pulls, including a cute little owl in the middle (to replace the fake lock that had been on there), and the new vanity was good to go.



To organize the space, I added a few other fun details, like this old empty, painted clock I got at a garage sale. I added hooks inside, and now it holds necklaces and other jewelry.



I had this frame, already painted this color, so I stapled lace, cut from an old curtain to the back and hung it on the wall. Tap in some tiny nails, and this now holds more favorite necklaces.




An old wood box I got at an antique store in Kansas, when shopping with my mom, and a silver bowl that was a wedding gift.




An antique lamp, some vintage mirrors, and a little wood and metal tray I painted and distressed. You can't see it the photo, but there's a handkerchief on there that says "Mother". My mom has a matching one.



And here it is, all put together! I really love it. The rest of the furniture in our room is dark wood, so James was a tiny bit concerned that a painted piece would stick out or detract, but it actually looks really great in the space. It's also much more usable. The drawers are organized and everything is in its place. No clutter.
 







No comments: