Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Flat 7-Up and Saltines

 We had an interesting weekend - one of those stretches of time that are just taken out of your hands. On Thursday, my little lovey girl and I took the J-bird to school, went to the park with some friends, and came home for lunch, and that's when Miss V started acting weird. She didn't want to eat, and she said her milk tasted gross (the milk was fine. I did a taste test). She told me she just needed to take a nap, so I read her a story and tucked her in. She got up after a couple of hours, and I made her a snack, which she picked at, and then she started making weird noises. I asked her if she felt like she was going to throw up, ( a stupid question, because she hadn't thrown up since she was a baby, so how would she know?) She answered, "Maybe?", so we went into the bathroom, and sure enough...

Oh, my poor girl. I kept thinking she was done over the next few days, because she'd go hours and hours without tossing her cookies, but she kept NOT BEING DONE. She didn't have any signs of dehydration, so we didn't tip into "needing an IV" territory (though I did call the pediatrician's office on Friday, just to talk to a nurse and check in, and a trusted friend of mine who is a nurse practitioner on Saturday morning). Miss V was a trooper - stayed in bed, sipped water and clear liquids, hit the yuck-bucket all but one time, even kept a sweet attitude and said stuff like, "Thank you for taking care of me, Mommy.", for crying out loud.

I don't fuss so much over childhood illnesses anymore, the way I did when my first kiddo was tiny, and a runny nose would give me paroxysms of anxiety (Give me a break. It was my first time being someone's mother.). This was worrisome though. I slept on her floor (Hey guess what - these hips are no longer made for that), checked on her constantly during the day, even when she was sleeping, held her and rubbed her back and spoon-fed her water and juice - did all the mom stuff. I also went through a LOT of bleach water and Lysol on every surface, and I washed my hands until they felt like they were going to fall off. Hallelujah - no one else in the house ended up hurling, AND, my precious little doll baby went from this:



back to this:

Very quickly. What a relief.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, having a child who hits the bucket is such a blessing. Somehow, even after all the stomach flu we have been through as a household, my kids STILL wake up vomiting, crying all over their beds, blankets, pillows, and the rug on the floor, just for good measure.

Sooo sorry she was that ill, good job on you bleaching everything within an inch of its life. You are a good mother. Now, let's see how your husband deals with it when you are down next time. Mine sounded like a lion with a hairball.

XXOO,
~Jenn

Geneva said...

HA! When the J-bird was a baby, James and I both got turrrrrible food poisoning and were so sick we wanted to die. The J-bird still didn't sleep through the night at that point, and I remember lying on my bedroom floor, hearing him wake up and cry out once and thinking to myself, "OK. You can do this. You can get up and hold it in to take care of the baby. Possibly.". James was downstairs, being sick, so he may as well have been on the moon. I was mustering my strength, when, by some miracle, for the first and only time in his short life up to that point, the J-bird went back to sleep on his own, and I was able to continue my horrific agony in peace.