Monday, June 22, 2015

Vertical Herb Garden

 My mom put a bug in my ear a while ago to use the space and the light in my kitchen window to grow herbs year-round. I have plants growing there already, because it's a lovely spot for growing, but she was right that it seems like a waste not to grow something edible. I saw some great ideas on Pinterest for vertical herb gardens, so I decided to go with that notion and put my own spin on it.

I cut up a couple of boards I had in my garage, beat them up with a hammer, painted them yellow, and then stained them. The color matches my kitchen cabinets almost exactly.


I decided to go with green glass Ball jars for the plants. I put some rocks in the bottom to help with drainage.



To hold them on, some metal pipe straps.


My cute helper was pretty thrilled to get to operate the drill (with heavy supervision and assistance, of course).




I added some old drawer pulls I had in my collection. Those add extra support underneath, and I also just love them.





This is what I had on the sides of my cabinets. Cute, but I was ready for a change.





I bolted the boards to the sides of the cabinets, and I feel confident they aren't going anywhere.






And there it is. I spend a lot of time standing at my sink - washing dishes, washing out paint brushes, prepping food, looking out at children in the back yard. I love the added greenery - I love the whole look, and I love that my J-bird and I built them together.
Summer project!

No comments: