Sunday, October 4, 2015

Re-Commissioned End Table

 I believe I have established that I like old, weird objects, yes? WELL, about two weeks ago, I found this giant, metal...thing on our local Facebook classifieds page for $20, and I had to have it. The guy who sold it to me said his dad got it off the Navy ship he served on when he was in the service. The ship was decommissioned, and his dad got to keep this amazing thing (I still don't know what to call it). His dad had it forever, and he handed it down to this (extremely nice) dude, who was using it as a stand for his drill press. When I bought it, it was filthy and rusty and PERFECT. I loved it instantly.

Amy and I hauled it home in the back of her SUV, and I started figuring out what to do with it. In the end, I unbolted the existing top and built a new wood top for it, used an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment to get the rust off the shelves, added some casters to the bottom, and scrubbed the whole thing down with SOS pads, Magic Erasers, and lots of soap. I also lined the shelves with some fabric I had on hand.


It's gorgeous, and I love it so much.


It has replaced one of the end tables in my living room, and I've gotta tell ya,



I don't miss that end table a bit.


No comments: